*** STORM SANDY INFORMATION ***
Storm Hotline: 1-800-339-1759
Hours: Mon to Fri, 8am to 8pm; Sat and Sun, 10am to 5pm
Learn more about insurance, banking, financial services, and protecting yourself from fraud and foreclosure.
Learn more about licensing, applications and electronic submissions via our portal.
Learn more about the institutions we supervise or search for a particular entity, branch or location.
Welcome to the Department of Financial Services
The New York State Department of Financial Services aims to modernize regulatory oversight of the financial services industry. Learn More...
A tool for locating lost life insurance policies on a deceased immediate family member. (See Press Conference Video)
- File a FOIL request?
- File a complaint against a supervised institution?
- Serve Process on the Superintendent?
- Find Unclaimed Funds?
- File a Claim for Recovery against Jugobanka and Beogradska Banka?
- File a 90-Day Foreclosure Notice?
- Obtain approval to use certain words in a corporation title?
- Learn about Tenant's Rights in Foreclosure?
- Learn about mortgage escrow accounts?
- April 18, 2013: Cuomo Administration Settles With Country's Second Largest 'Force-Placed' Insurer, Leading Nationwide Reform Effort And Saving Millions For Homeowners And Investors
- April 09, 2013: Cuomo Administration Demands Fannie Mae And Freddie Mac Change Restrictive Guidelines that Could Hit Sandy Victims with Large Spikes in their Mortgage Payments
- April 04, 2013: Superintendent Lawsky Announces Recovery of Two Works of Art For Heirs of Victim of Nazi Persecution
- April 03, 2013: Westchester County Insurance Agent Charged With Grand Larceny In Connection With Health Insurance Scheme
- March 26, 2013: Statement From Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on the Federal Housing Finance Agency's Proposal on Force-Placed Insurance Reform
For more news releases and related media, visit our DFS News Room.
- Report on the Hospital Excess Liability Pool -- December 2012
- Insurance Regulations: Emergency Adoption of the Twelfth Amendment to Regulation 64 (11 NYCRR 216) Unfair Claims Settlement Practices and Claim Cost Control Measures
- Superintendent Lawsky's Letter to NAIC On Principles-Based Reserving
- Telephone number and website address for consumer notices
The telephone number and website address for the Department of Financial Services for use with Sections 1303 and 1304 of the Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law and Section 265-b of the Real Property Law are 877-226-5697 and www.dfs.ny.gov.
- Current Dollar Amount of Exemption from Enforcement of Judgments Updated
- Unexpected Out-of-Network Medical Bills Report
- MORE Developments ...
The Foreclosure Relief Unit assists homeowners at risk of foreclosure. The Mobile Command Center visits communities impacted by foreclosure.
Healthy NY assists small business owners in providing employees and their families with health insurance.
The Prior Approval law gives the Department the authority to review and approve health insurance premium rate increases before any changes take effect.
Learn more about flood insurance, how flood damages are treated by insurance policies, and what to do if your property is damaged due to flood.