Mortgage Loan Originator Applications: Fingerprinting Procedure
Pursuant to New York Banking Law Article 12-E and Part 420 of the Superintendent's Regulations, applicants for Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) are required to submit their fingerprints for the purpose of a Criminal Background Check (CBC).
Effective October 1, 2010, the Department of Financial Services (“Department”) will use Morpho Trust USA for fingerprint processing services. All individuals required to submit fingerprints for a criminal background check are asked to visit an Morpho Trust USA Live Scan site to have their fingerprints taken electronically. This is the preferred method of transmitting fingerprints to the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for processing. Results are then electronically transmitted to the DFS. This process reduces errors and delays that can occur with traditional rolled fingerprints submitted on cards.
At this time, only New York State sites can be used, as this program operates under contractual agreements between DCJS and Morpho Trust USA. For those who cannot access a New York State Morpho Trust USA site, hard copy fingerprint cards must be filed with the Department. Rolled card processing may be more costly to the applicant, may cause delays in processing the applications and should only be used when necessary.
Applicants for MLO licensure must use Morpho Trust USA for the State component of their Criminal Background Check and must use Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) Criminal Background Check Request for the Federal Criminal Background Check required by the NMLS. Instructions for the NMLS CBC process can be found on the NMLS website at www.nationwidelicensingsystem.org in the Professional Requirements menu.Below are the instructions for obtaining electronic fingerprint scans and submitting Rolled Fingerprint cards to the Department of Financial Services-Mortgage Banking for the state component of the CBC.
I. Electronic Fingerprinting at Morpho Trust USA Enrollment Services sites:
- Appointment: Schedule an appointment for fingerprinting by going to the Morpho Trust USA website, www.L-1enrollment.com, or calling Morpho Trust USA toll-free at (877) 472-6915. Appointment scheduling via the website is available 24 hours, every day of the year. Appointment scheduling via the call center is available 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. If an appointment is scheduled through the Morpho Trust USA website, the confirmation page be should be printed and brought to the appointment.
When making the appointment, you will be asked to provide the reason for the fingerprints and the Department ORI number applicable to the application type.
The ORI # NY921860Z must be provided for MLO application CBC requests.
- Applicant Information Form: The Department of Financial Services Fingerprint Service Applicant Information Form includes the ORI Number above, as well as all information an individual will need to provide at his/her appointment. It is recommended this form be completed and taken to the Morpho Trust USA site for reference and convenience during the appointment.
Payment: Individuals applying for an MLO license pay fingerprint fees through the NMLS. When making an appointment at Morpho Trust USA, please indicate that payment will be made through account number NYB001N30.
- Identification: Applicant must provide two forms of identification – Please consult the Fingerprint Service Applicant Information Form for a list of acceptable identification documents. At the time an appointment is scheduled, Morpho Trust USA will also provide information on what forms of identification are considered acceptable.
At the fingerprinting location, the identification documents will be reviewed, fingerprints will be rolled and a photo will be taken.
Receipts: After fingerprinting the individual will be provided with two receipts indicating the individual's name, fingerprinting site location, date and time, fee paid and reason for fingerprinting. The individual must provide one receipt to the Department with the application as proof of the fingerprinting. The individual should retain the other copy for his/her records.
If fingerprints do not scan properly due to image quality reasons, Morpho Trust USA will contact the individual and advise that he/she must schedule an appointment for rescanning. There is no cost for rescanning services.
II. Instructions for submitting Rolled Fingerprint cards to the Department:
(Note: This method is ONLY used when it is not possible for an individual to go to an Morpho Trust USA Live Scan site in New York State.)
- The individual must obtain the hard copy fingerprint cards from the Department.
Requests for fingerprint cards should be sent via email to email@example.com
The email must include:
- ORI # NY921860Z;
- The reason for requesting the cards (MLO Application);
- The number of cards requested (please note that two cards per person are required);
- The name and address of the person to whom they should be sent; and
- A telephone number to call if we need to contact you.
When the fingerprint cards are received, confirm the ORI number printed on them. Only ORI # NY921860Z can be used for applications related to Mortgage Origination Activities. If another ORI # is printed on the cards, do not use them. Contact the Department via email to request a new set of cards.
- The information on the fingerprint cards must be completed (see Fingerprint Card Instructions). The fingerprints may only be taken by a law enforcement or government agency. The individual must obtain a receipt with information verifying the source of the finger printer. The Fingerprint Certification Form must be completed at the time the fingerprints are taken.
Please note that any additional costs for obtaining fingerprints on fingerprint cards are the responsibility of the individual. These costs are in addition to the fees payable to Morpho Trust USA and the NMLS.
Mortgage Loan Originator applicants using fingerprint cards must submit the following directly to the Department of Financial Services-Mortgage Banking as part of the their Jurisdiction Specific Requirements:
The Department will then submit these documents to Morpho Trust USA.
- Morpho Trust USA will contact the individual via US mail and advise him/her that fingerprints must be retaken if the fingerprint submission is rejected for image quality reasons. While there is no additional charge for the processing, individuals may be required to pay a charge by the entity rolling the fingerprints.