About the Insurance Frauds Bureau
The Insurance Frauds Bureau is part of the FFCPD’s Criminal Investigations Unit. It is responsible for the detection and investigation of insurance and financial fraud and the referral for prosecution of persons or groups that commit these frauds.
The Bureau is headquartered in New York City, with six additional offices across the State in Mineola, Albany, Syracuse, Oneonta, Rochester and Buffalo. The Bureau’s specialized units are Major Case, Arson, General, Auto, Workers’ Compensation, Medical, No-Fault, Mortgage and Title, and Upstate. The Bureau provides in-service training for its staff and conducts training for law enforcement, the insurance industry and community groups. The Bureau also has a unit of insurance examiners who are responsible for insurer compliance with Article 4 of the New York Insurance Law and Department Regulation 95. The examiner staff may also perform market conduct examinations of insurer Special Investigations Units.
Insurers are required to report all cases of suspected insurance fraud to the IFB.
Insurance Fraud Hotline: 1-888-372-8369
Highlights of 2012
- Investigations conducted by Insurance Frauds Bureau staff resulted in 595 arrests during 2012
- A total of 841 new cases were opened for investigation.
- By year-end 2012, prosecutors had obtained 382 convictions in cases involving the Insurance Frauds Bureau.
- Court-ordered restitution totaled $18 million as a result of Insurance Frauds Bureau investigations.
- There were 195 arrests for health care fraud in 2012.
- The Bureau received 24,038 reports of suspected fraud during 2012, an increase of about 3% from 2011.
- The number of reports of suspected no-fault fraud totaled 13,944 at year-end 2012, accounting for 58% of all fraud reports received, versus 51% in 2011.
Additional Information and Statistics
Annual Fraud Reports
Outside Links and Resources
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Coalition Against Insurance Fraud
- America's Health Insurance Plans
- Insurance Information Institute