About the Insurance Frauds Bureau
The Insurance Frauds Bureau is part of the FFCPD’s Criminal Investigations Unit. It is responsible for the detection and investigation of insurance and financial fraud and the referral for prosecution of persons or groups that commit these frauds.
The Bureau is headquartered in New York City, with six additional offices across the State in Garden City, Albany, Syracuse, Oneonta, Rochester and Buffalo. The Bureau’s specialized units are Major Case, Arson, General, Auto, Workers’ Compensation, Medical, No-Fault, Mortgage and Title, and Upstate. The Bureau provides in-service training for its staff and conducts training for law enforcement, the insurance industry and community groups. The Bureau also has a unit of insurance examiners who are responsible for insurer compliance with Article 4 of the New York Insurance Law and Department Regulation 95. The examiner staff may also perform market conduct examinations of insurer Special Investigations Units.
Insurers are required to report all cases of suspected insurance fraud to the IFB.
Insurance Fraud Hotline: 1-800-342-3736
Highlights of 2015
- Bureau investigations led to $2.4 million in Court-ordered restitution
- Investigation conducted by Bureau staff resulted in 330 arrests, of which 79 were for health care fraud
- 490 new cases were opened for investigation
- Prosecutor obtained 355 convictions in cases in which the Bureau was involved.
- The Bureau received 22,762 reports of suspected fraud.
- Of the fraud reports received, 12,891 were for suspected no-fault fraud, accounting for 57% of all fraud reports