How To File A Complaint
We review complaints to gather information on compliance with law and to detect patterns of wrongdoing and/or fraud. We cannot attempt to resolve or otherwise handle every individual complaint. We will notify you if your complaint is not being individually reviewed. Be aware that we may share a copy of your complaint with the company or individual you are complaining about.
Use our Consumer Complaint Form to file a complaint about a financial product or service.
Use our Prior Approval Portal to file a Comment about a Health Insurance Rate Increase.
Complaint Forms in Other Languages
- Spanish: Formulario de Reclamos . Llámenos al (800) 342-3736 si necesita ayuda gratis en su idioma.
- Chinese: 消費者投訴表 . 請給我們打電話號碼 (800) 342-3736, 要求免費的語言協助服務。
- Creole: Fòm pou Konsomatè Pote Plent . Tanpri rele nou nan (800) 342-3736 pou jwenn sèvis èd gratis nan lang.
- Italian: Modulo di Reclamo . Chiamare il (800) 342-3736 per assistenza linguistica gratuita.
- Russian: форма жалобы потребителя . Чтобы получить бесплатные переводческие услуги, позвоните, пожалуйста, по следующему номеру (800) 342-3736
- Korean: 소비자 민원 양식 . 전화 (800) 342-3736 로 무료 언어 지원 서비스를 요청하십시오
- English . (Consumers are strongly encouraged to submit their complaint online using the Online Consumer Complaint form. This will expedite the handling of your complaint.)
How to Send Documents Supporting a Complaint
If you have an electronic copy of your supporting documents, upload them when you submit your complaint or add them to an existing complaint at a later date. Put your file number on everything you send us.
If you only have paper copies of your documents, you should try to get them scanned and upload them electronically, otherwise, you may fax them to (212) 480-6282, or mail copies of your documents (do not send originals, they won't be returned to you) by mail to:
Department of Financial Services
Consumer Assistance Unit
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
If you are a health care provider filing a prompt payment complaint or an attorney filing a complaint on behalf of a health care provider regarding payment of health insurance, no fault or workers compensation claims, you must file your complaint via the secure DFS Portal using our online Prompt Payment Complaint Form for Providers.
- Go to the Portal
- Instructions: How To Create a Portal Account
- Provider Prompt Pay Complaint Instructions
General Questions about Financial Services
If you are unable to find the answer to your questions on our website, submit inquiries and complaints via the following options:
- Call (212) 480-6400 or toll-free (800) 342-3736 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM)
- Email a Question
Consumers have the right to an external appeal when health care services are denied by an HMO or insurer as not medically necessary, experimental/investigational, a clinical trial, a rare disease treatment, or, in certain cases, as out-of-network. Your insurer is required to notify you if your denial is eligible for the process. Providers have their own right to an external appeal when these health care services are denied concurrently or retrospectively. External appeal requests must be submitted to the DFS and we will assign independent medical experts to review the appeal. Learn more about External Appeals...
No-Fault Claims and Arbitration
If your case was submitted to the American Arbitration Association (AAA) for arbitration, you should contact them:
American Arbitration Association
Customer Support: (917) 438-1660
If you have won a judgment in a No-Fault Arbitration, you should not normally have any difficulty in collecting from the respondent. If you have not received payment within 30 days of the date of mailing of the No-Fault arbitration award, we suggest that you follow-up with the respondent in writing to advise of the specific elements of the award which remain unpaid and outstanding. If you do not receive a timely response from the respondent, you should seek assistance from the Department of Financial Services. Learn More About No-Fault Arbitration...