Information for Agents and Brokers
Notice to Health Insurance Producers Regarding the Affordable Care Act and the
Early Renewal of Small Group Health Insurance Coverage
The Department of Financial Services is concerned that some small groups may have elected to renew health insurance coverage in 2013 that would otherwise not renew until 2014 in order to avoid the requirements of the Affordable Care Act ("ACA") that take effect on January 1, 2014. Health insurance producers are hereby reminded that in accordance with New York State Insurance Law Sections 3221(s) and 4303(nn), insurers and insurance producers are not permitted to renew a small group policy which provides hospital, surgical or medical expense coverage that renews on or after January 1, 2014, but before July 1, 2014, prior to the policy's annual renewal date for the sole purpose of evading the requirements of the ACA and regulations promulgated thereunder. Health insurance producers that steer small groups toward early renewal of coverage for the sole purpose of evading the requirements of the ACA may be in violation of the Insurance Law. Likewise, insurers who early renew coverage for small groups for the sole purpose of evading the requirements of the ACA may also be in violation of the Insurance Law. An isolated, inadvertent renewal date change that was not made for the sole purpose of evading the requirements of the ACA shall not be deemed a violation of the aforementioned sections of the Insurance Law.
- Title Insurance Agent Licensing Information
- Applying for a Broker/Agent License
- Licensing Applications, Forms & Exam Requirements
- Original License: Resident | Non-Resident
- Relicense Applications (Individual and TBA only)
- Renewal of License (Individuals/TBA/Entity)
- Print a License Online (Electronic License Request)
- Address Change Request
- Application for Consent to Engage in the Business of Insurance Pursuant to 18 USC 1033 and 1034
- Company Appointment/Termination (to be completed by an authorized company representative only.
- Independent Adjuster Temporary Permit
- Excess Line Broker Entity Sublicensee Application
- More Licensing Resources
- Continuing Education Course Search
- Continuing Education Provider Search
- Continuing Education Program (for CE Providers)
- CE Provider Electronic Reporting System
- Flood Insurance Training Requirements
- Exam Vendor Information
- Exam Monitor Search
- PreLicensing Education Program
- PreLicensing Provider/Course Search
- Annuity Transactions Training Requirements
New York State of Health Marketplace
Adjusters, Bail Bond Agents, Life Settlement Brokers, Life Settlement Providers and Life Settlement Intermediary applicants with an address in New York State must be fingerprinted.
Contact UsIf you are unable to find the answer to a financial services licensing question on our website, email the Licensing Bureau at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 342-3736 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM). Local calls can be made to (212) 480-6400 or (518) 474-6600.