Reports on Examination Filed
Introduction and Index
The New York State Department of Financial Services is required by law to conduct examinations into the affairs of domestic insurers and HMOs. In addition, we also have the authority to conduct an examination into the affairs of any insurance corporation, or other insurer doing or authorized to do any insurance business in this state.
There are generally two types of examinations: financial and market conduct.
- The purpose of a financial examination is to verify that an examined entitys financial statement, as of the examination date, as well as its corporate conduct during the examination period, are in compliance with Department laws, rules, and regulations.
- A market conduct examination's focus is the fair treatment of policyholders and the scope of these examinations is on areas such as company operations, complaint handling, marketing, claims, rate and form filing and policyholder service.
Examinations that cover both financial and market conduct are referred to as "combined." Should an examination be on a specialized area such as EDP systems or capital markets activities, it will be noted.
Within the index below, there are links to tables listing reports on examination (in PDF FORMAT), which have been completed by the Departments Health, Life and Property bureaus. Examination reports for companies not listed may be requested by completing an Application for Records under the Public Officers Law, Freedom of Information Law. Instructions are available on our Records Access Process Page.
If you need PDF Download Assistance, please select this link.
Examination Reports Index
** Note: To determine when examination reports were posted to this Web site, see the "Report Key", located below the NOTES section on the Health Companies, Life Companies, and Property Companies report pages. **
The links below lead to sections on each report page.
- Fraternal Benefit Society
- Life Insurers
- Retirement System
- Segregated Gift Annuity Funds
- Viatical Settlement Company
- Advance Premium Cooperative Insurance Company
- Captive Insurers
- Casualty Insurers
- Cooperative Property/Casualty Insurers
- Financial Guaranty Insurance
- Insurance Associations
- Property and Casualty Insurers
- Property Insurers
- Rate Service Organizations
- Self-Insurance Trust
- Statutory Non-Profit
- Title Insurers