FEMA Press Release

"Apply Even If You Have Insurance"

New York, NY, October 4, 2001 -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) wants those affected by the World Trade Center attack to know they may be eligible for federal and state assistance even if they have insurance coverage."Insurance is the primary resource to help put your life back together after a disaster, but there are many things that insurance doesn't cover," says Ted Monette, FEMA coordinating officer. "That is where federal and state disaster programs may be able to help." Some insurance policies may only cover living expenses over a short-term period, but some people may be displaced from their homes for longer periods of time. If this is the case, federal and state disaster programs may be able to help. "Those whose homes were damaged by the World Trade Center attack do not have to wait for an adjuster before applying for aid," said Edward F. Jacoby, Jr., state coordinating officer. "They can go ahead and make needed repairs to make their homes safe and livable. Homeowners need to find out what their policy covers, and be sure to keep papers and receipts for any work done." In addition to temporary housing, and individual and family grants, assistance programs include disaster unemployment, low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration for homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and nonprofit organizations along with other aid programs. FEMA is urging those with insurance to get the assistance process started by calling FEMA's registration number at 1-800-462-9029. TTY service is available at 1-800-462-7585 for anyone who is hearing- or speech-impaired.

Link to homepage