Non-Resident License Application
The New York State Department of Financial Services currently participates in the National Insurance Producer Registrys (NIPR) Non-Resident Licensing for individuals only. Non-Residents who hold valid licenses outside New York may apply through the National Producer Registry website for a New York non-resident license. Because information, including home state certification is electronically transferred to the New York State Department of Financial Services processing time is significantly reduced.
** Please note the following six items: **
- New York issues BOTH Agent and Broker Licenses
- If you are utilizing the Non-Resident Application be sure to select the proper class of license for which you intend to conduct business. If the class of license you are looking for is not available, contact the New York State Department of Financial Services at email@example.com or 518-474-6630.
- Agent Licenses REQUIRE a company appointment to activate the license.
- Brokers CANNOT be appointed to insurance companies.
- Before submitting your application online we suggest you contact the insurance company for which you intend to do business in order to verify the proper license required.
- NO REFUNDS will be issued for licenses applied
for in error.
Non-residents applying for agent licenses may indicate the company that will be appointing the agent. To make this indication the agent will need to supply the NAIC number of the company. These NAIC numbers can be found on this Departments Online Directory of Regulated Companies or from the appointing company.
We encourage you to utilize this service as the NIPR will provide your home state certification directly to the New York Department of Financial Services. You will not have to go to your home state regulator for that document. You need only to complete the online application, a significant time savings to you. The NIPR will collect a nominal fee for this service.
To apply online for a non-resident license please select the following link.
Updated! Initial License Printing
As soon as it is issued, the applicant should electronically print the license by accessing the Department's website at: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/elec_license_req.htm. To log in, the license number is required. Click on Electronic License Request below to print the license.
Use our Producer / Licensee Search application available on our Agents and Brokers index to determine if the license has been issued and to view the license number.
Once the license is printed, there is a statutory $15.00 duplicate license fee for any future license print requests.
The Department no longer automatically mails paper licenses.