Original License Application (Individual/TBA)
Before applying online, please allow 1 to 3 business days after passing the required examination.
Individual TBA Producer Licenses are issued with an expiration date determined by date of birth.
Licenses are never issued for a period of more than 2 years.
- If you were born in an even numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an even numbered year.
- If you were born in an odd numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an odd numbered year.
On-line application submissions are currently available to all individual/tba resident applicants who passed the requisite exam within the last 2 years applying for:
- life, variable annuity, and/or accident/health agent and/or broker licenses
- property/casualty agent and/or broker licenses
Non-Residents may use the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) Non-Resident License Application.
If qualified, applicant may apply for multiple classes of licenses mentioned above simultaneously. You cannot apply for a class of license you previously held.
If you do not meet all of the above qualifying requirements and wish to do so, please visit Licensing Application Forms and Class Information.
If you are applying for a property/casualty agent and/or broker license(s) and intend to issue Insurance Identification Cards, please visit Insurance Information and Enforcement System (IIES).
- Applicants must attest to taking the applicable pre-qualifying course and furnish the course number or attest to being exempt from the pre-qualifying course by either CLU, CPCU or Statement of Employer exemption.
- Applicants must have passed the applicable New York State examination within the past 2 years.
- Applicants must pay the licensing fee, which is automatically computed. Credit card or check payment option available.
- Individuals claiming an exemption from the pre-qualifying course will need to provide the appropriate documentation to the Department and the application will remain pending until this documentation is received.
VARIABLE ANNUITY APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS:
- Agent - must also be applying for a life agent license at the same time.
- Broker - must also be applying for a life broker license at the same time.
- Must be registered with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and must furnish the FINRA CRD number.
Printing a License
The Department no longer automatically mails paper licenses. Licenses are generated in PDF format. Applicant should print a license as soon as it is issued, by accessing the Electronic License Request. To log in, the license number is required.
Use our Producer/Licensee Search to determine if the license has been issued and to view the license number.
Once a license has been printed once, there is a $15.00 duplicate license fee for any future printing requests.
- To access Licensing applications, please use one of the following supported browsers: Internet Explorer 7 or higher; Firefox 24 or higher; Google Chrome 33, or Safari 5.1.5 or higher.
- Disable any "Pop-up Blocker" setting in your browser before using this Application.
- The application may be unavailable daily from 7:30am to 7:45am for regularly scheduled maintenance.
Access the Application
On each page of the online application, there is a ? symbol that, when selected, provides more information pertaining to that page of the application. Please read all instructions carefully. If you are experiencing technical problems using this application or need additional assistance, email the Licensing Bureau at firstname.lastname@example.org.