Original License Application
Welcome to the State of New York Department of Financial Services individual/tba on-line original application system for the Licensing Services Bureau!
If you wish to visit our Original License Application in the future, please bookmark this page in your Favorites.
*** If you are experiencing problems using this application or have questions, please e-mail our Licensing Bureau. ***
INDIVIDUAL/TBA PRODUCER LICENSES WILL BE ISSUED WITH AN EXPIRATION DATE DETERMINED BY DATE OF BIRTH:
** If you were born in an even numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an even numbered year.
** If you were born in an odd numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an odd numbered year.
Licenses are never issued for a period of more than 2 years.
On-line application submissions are currently available to all individual/tba resident applicants who passed the requisite exam within the last 2 years applying for:
- life, variable annuity, and/or accident/health agent and/or broker licenses
- property/casualty agent and/or broker licenses
Non-Residents may use the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) Non-Resident License Application.
**PLEASE NOTE** - Before applying on-line, please allow 1 to 3 business days after passing the required examination.
If qualified, applicant may apply for multiple classes of licenses mentioned above simultaneously. You cannot apply for a class of license you previously held.
If you do not meet all of the above qualifying requirements and wish to do so, please click here for Licensing Information.
If you are applying for a property/casualty agent and/or broker license(s) and intend to issue Insurance Identification Cards, please select this link.
- Applicants must attest to taking the applicable pre-qualifying course and furnish the course number or attest to being exempt from the pre-qualifying course by either CLU, CPCU or Statement of Employer exemption.
- Applicants must have passed the applicable New York State examination within the past 2 years.
- Applicants must pay the licensing fee, which is automatically computed. Credit card or check payment option available.
Note: Individuals claiming an exemption from the pre-qualifying course will need to provide the appropriate documentation to the Department and the application will remain pending until this documentation is received.
VARIABLE ANNUITY APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS:
- Agent - must also be applying for a life agent license at the same time.
- Broker - must also be applying for a life broker license at the same time.
- Must be registered with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and must furnish the FINRA CRD number.
- TO USE THIS APPLICATION, THE RECOMMENDED BROWSER IS INTERNET EXPLORER 7.X.
- Please disable the "Pop-up Blocker" setting in your browser before using this Application.
- If you need to acquire the browser, please visit the Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com
- If you are experiencing problems using this application or have questions, please e-mail our Licensing Bureau.
- The application will be unavailable daily from 7:30am to 7:45am for regularly scheduled maintenance.
On each page of the online application, there is a ? symbol; when you select the ?, relevant instructions/information appear pertaining to that page of the application. Please read all instructions carefully.regularly scheduled maintenance.
Updated! Electronic License Printing
As soon as it is issued, the applicant should electronically print the license by accessing the Department's website at: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/elec_license_req.htm. To log in, the license number is required. Click on Electronic License Request below to print the license.
Use our Producer / Licensee Search application available on our Agents and Brokers index to determine if the license has been issued and to view the license number.
Once the license is printed, there is a statutory $15.00 duplicate license fee for any future license print requests.
The Department no longer automatically mails paper licenses.