FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MILLS: FLOOD VICTIMS NEED INSURANCE INDUSTRYS SUPPORT
Superintendent of Insurance Howard Mills today issued a Circular Letter asking state Insurance Department licensees operating in the 13 counties recovering from flood damage to consider a policyholders situation when interacting with the regions individuals and businesses.
"In particular, I would hope adjusters and underwriters exercise care and responsible judgment in making determinations regarding claims, cancellations and non-renewals of policies," Superintendent Mills stated.
Circular Letters (CL) are issued by the Insurance Department periodically and provide Departmental guidance to the industry on best practices, the Department's stance on certain public policy questions, and other matters.
Under state law, the Superintendent of Insurance may declare a moratorium precluding policy cancellations and non-renewals in areas of the State that have been declared by the Governor to be in a state of emergency due to disaster or catastrophe. Superintendent Mills has not as yet chosen to invoke this power in the 13 counties where Governor Pataki has declared a disaster emergency: Broome, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Orange, Otsego, Schoharie, Sullivan, Tioga and Ulster.
"Im very proud of the important role the Insurance Department has played in New York States response to the crisis in Central New York and the Hudson Valley. We have some of our best professionals staffing the eight Disaster Assistance Service Centers while others continue to answer the dozens of calls that come each day into our toll-free Disaster Hotline," Superintendent Mills said. The Insurance Departments Hotline number is 1-800-339-1759.
The Departments mobile command vehicle is arriving at the Broome County Disaster Assistance Service Center (DASC) in Binghamton, NY on Saturday, July 8 to provide additional support. Insurance Department personnel are available at that locale seven days a week, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., and at the seven other DASCs that have been established. The eight fixed-site locations are as follows:
- Broome County: Binghamton High School, 31 Main Street, Binghamton, NY
- Chenango County: Bainbridge Municipal Building, West Main Street, Bainbridge, NY
- Delaware County: Walton High School, 47-49 Stockton Avenue, Walton, NY
- Herkimer County: Herkimer BOCES, 352 Gros Blvd., Herkimer, NY
- Montgomery County: Fonda-Fultonville CSD Campus (Middle School), 112 Old Johnstown Road, Fonda, NY
- Otsego County: SUNY Campus, Lee Hall, Ravena Parkway, Oneonta, NY
- Sullivan County, Livingston Manor Central School, 19 School Street, Livingston, NY
- Tioga County: Owego-Apalachin CSD Middle School, 3 Sheldon Guile Blvd., Owego, NY