Excess Line Broker Application

  • You can renew your Broker and Excess Lines at the same time, however the Excess Line Broker license will not be issued until the Broker license is issued.
  • There is no difference between Surplus Lines and Excess Lines.
  • You must be licensed as a Property/Casualty Broker to obtain an Excess Lines License.
  • Excess Lines Brokers can only renew their New York license using the DFS online renewal application.
  • If your Home State is California, a $50,000 bond is required for an Excess Lines Broker license.
  • For a business entity to obtain an Excess Line Broker license in New York, the business entity must hold a New York broker license. The sublicensee listed on the Excess Line Broker license must be a sublicensee on the Broker license.
Application Type # of pages

Excess Line Individual Broker - Original Application and Instructions

4 Pages

Entity (Corporations/Partnerships/LLCs) Excess Line Broker - Original/Relicensing Application and Instructions

6 Pages

Excess Line Supplemental Statement to add a Sub-Licensee to a Partnership, Corporation or Limited Liability Company Broker License

4 Pages

Excess Line Broker Entity Sublicensee Application

This online application can only be used by individuals listed as sublicensee on the excess line broker entity application processed through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR). To get started, access the DFS Portal:

  • Use a supported browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher; Firefox 24 or higher; Google Chrome 33, or Safari 5.1.5 or higher.
  • Disable "Pop-up Blockers" in your browser before using this Application.
  • The application will be unavailable daily from 7:30am to 7:45am for regularly scheduled maintenance.