General Consultant (C3) Applications and Information

Resident & Non-Resident Applications

Application Type # of pages

Individual General Consultant - Application and Instructions (PDF)

4 Pages

Entity General Consultant (Corporations, Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies) - Application and Instructions (PDF)

8 Pages

Submission Instructions & Fees

License Expiration Date

Individual/TBA License will be issued with an expiration date determined by date of birth:

  • If you were born in an even numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an even numbered year.
  • If you were born in an odd numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an odd numbered year.

Resident, Non-Resident and Home State Designations

  • Home State: Home State means the District of Columbia or any state or territory of the United States in which the applicant maintains his, her or its principal place of residence or principal place of business.

  • Resident: one who has declared New York as their Home State.

  • Non-Resident: licensee who has declared a state OTHER than New York as their Home State, where they maintain a principal place of residence or business AND are licensed in good standing for the lines of authority being applied for in this application.

Match the submission code numbers listed under RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT columns with the corresponding numbers on the Submission Requirement Code Chart below to determine what is needed to obtain a license.

#3 (EXAM)
Full Half
C3 Consultant - General 2107 1,2,3,4,7 1,2,5,6,7
  1. one who was licensed C3 within the last 2 years
  2. current PC (property/ casualty) agent or current BR (property/casualty) broker
  3. CPCU, FCAS or ACAS designation

Individual/TBA - up to 2 years from date of issue to Date of Birth Expiration** (See Note Above)

Entities - 2 yrs-4/1 to 3/31 of even years

$100 $50


  1. An agent or broker may consult with respect to lines for which he is authorized and charge a consulting fee based upon a written memorandum signed by the party to be charged, without being licensed as a consultant.
  2. An agent or broker may charge a consulting fee and receive commissions for the sale of insurance if both the consulting fee and the insurance commissions are provided for in the written memorandum signed by the party to be charged.
  3. An agent or broker may offset consultant's fee against commissions received on the sale of insurance only if provided for in the written memorandum.



FEE -- See "Fee" column. Full fees are charged when a license is issued for a licensing period greater than one year; half fees are charged when a license is issued for a licensing period of one year or less. Partnership, corporation, limited liability company fee is per partnership, corporation, limited liability company plus per sub-licensee. Make check payable to the "Superintendent of Insurance." $20 will be charged for each check dishonored by the bank.


Original passed score report for exam taken within 2 years year unless "exempt from #3" above/copy of CPCU, FCAS or ACAS designation. Call PROMETRIC* for examination information.


Proof of accumulation of Continuing Education credits if such proof was required had the last license been renewed and the $10.00 Continuing Education filing fee unless applying under #3.


Must be currently licensed and in compliance in your declared home state. NOTE: Your license information MUST be included in the National Producer Database; if not, you must submit a currently dated Certification from the state you have declared as your home state and in which your principle place of business or residence is located.


Code 4, if applicable, unless the certification shows that the Continuing Education requirements of that state have been met.


Proof of required filing of a partnership, corporation, limited liability company, or trade name. It is recommended that applicant obtain name approval for use of the name in the insurance industry from the Department before filing the name with a County Clerk office or the New York State Department of State. You may submit a list of proposed names in the order of preference to New York State Department of Financial Services, Licensing Bureau, One Commerce Plaza, Albany, NY 12257 or email: [email protected]. Once a name is approved, licensing instructions will be provided.

Licensing Exam Vendor