Temporary Independent Adjuster Permit


To receive an email notification when this page is updated, sign up for Temporary Independent Adjuster Permits Alert. To update this subscription or modify a password or email address without adding a subscription, visit subscriber preferences.

Subscribe to Alerts

Who Can Apply

To facilitate the settlement of claims resulting from a catastrophe or an emergency, an individual not licensed as an independent adjuster in New York, but otherwise qualified to adjust claims, may obtain a Temporary Adjuster Permit if sponsored by a New York authorized insurance company.

Both residents of New York and non-residents may obtain a Temporary Adjuster Permit. The sponsoring insurance company must apply for the permit on behalf of the adjuster.

Temporary permits are issued...

  • for no more than 120 days, unless renewed. The sponsoring insurance company may renew a permit(s) for an additional term or terms as necessary to adjust the claims resulting from the declared catastrophe.
  • with respect to one declared catastrophe. In the event of multiple catastrophes, the insurance company must apply for additional temporary adjuster permits.
  • on behalf of one company. If adjusting for more than one company, each company must submit an application for the individual.

Declared Events

Once a State of Emergency related to a natural disaster is declared, DFS determines which counties are impacted by the emergency, publishes that information below, and issues temporary adjuster permits to those responding to property losses based on need.

  • In response to the damages caused by a storm or disaster in New York State, DFS will issue temporary adjuster permits to those responding to property losses across the State.


There is no fee for the temporary adjuster permit.

Establish an Account

To file an application for a permit, a designated person of an authorized insurer must have an established account with the Department. To establish this account, provide the following information by email to [email protected]:

  • Name and date of birth for each officer(s) or managing agent(s) authorized to request the temporary permit on behalf of the insurer(s) along with a 4-digit pin of your choice.
  • The insurer name(s) and NAIC number(s) for all insurers for which the officer/managing agent is authorized to submit temporary adjuster permit requests.
  • The estimated number of claims received at the time of the request.

File an Application

Once you have received login ID information, visit NY LINX to process the Temporary Adjuster Permit request. Instructions are available within the application:


Considering the recent increase in extreme weather and climate events, insurers are reminded to maintain adequate New York-licensed independent adjuster staff to respond to these events.