Application for a temporary change of location
Please refer to the Department's Application Fee Schedule to determine the proper fee for the application being filed.
New York Banking Law, Section 28-a
NY - § 28-a. Temporary Change Of Location; Approval Or Refusal; Certificate.
Notwithstanding any provisions of law limiting the number of offices which may be maintained thereby, any banking organization or foreign banking corporation may make a written application to the superintendent for a temporary change of location of its authorized place or one of its authorized places of business or a portion thereof to another place within the state which shall be as near as practicable to such authorized place of business.
At the time of making the application an investigation fee of [please refer to the Department's Application Fee Schedule] shall be paid to the superintendent for each temporary location for which leave to open is sought, except where
- the applicant would not be required to pay an investigation fee upon the filing of an application for a change of location under provisions of this chapter other than this section, or
- said application is necessitated by damage or destruction caused by flood, tidal wave, earthquake, conflagration, tornado, hurricane, cyclone, windstorm or other storm or such other event as shall have been declared a catastrophe by the superintendent. If there is no reasonable objection to such change, and if the superintendent finds that such change is necessary or desirable during a period of construction, repair, alteration, improvement, or reconstruction of the previously authorized place of business, he shall issue a certificate under his hand and the official seal of the department authorizing each such change and specifying
- the period during which such temporary location may be maintained,
- the date on or after which such change may be made, and
- the powers which may be exercised thereat.
The superintendent shall cause the original of such certificate to be transmitted to the applicant, a copy to be filed in the office of the department and a copy to be filed in the office of the clerk of the county in which the principal office of the applicant is located. If the superintendent shall be satisfied in any case that a change is undesirable or inexpedient, he shall refuse such application and notify the applicant of his determination. A temporary place of business occupied pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be closed as soon as practicable, and in no event later than the date specified in its authorization certificate, unless the superintendent shall have extended such time. The banking organization or corporation shall notify the superintendent in writing prior to such closing as to the date it intends to close the temporary place of business.
Note: An application for a temporary relocation should include the information requested in an application for a permanent relocation to the extent applicable.