Motor Vehicle Law Enforcement Fee (MVLEF)
General Filing Information for Insurance Companies
Section 9110 of the New York State Insurance Law requires every insurance company authorized to do business in New York State to collect an annual motor vehicle law enforcement fee from each holder of a policy issued, renewed, or for delivery in this state for motor vehicle liability insurance coverage. This fee shall be remitted monthly by insurance companies to the Department on or before the fifteenth of the month next succeeding the month for which the return is made.
Insurance companies that wish to submit Motor Vehicle Law Enforcement Fee filings online, may do so via the Department's secure portal or through the Online Premium Tax for Insurance system (OPTIns) system offered by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
A company that elects to file online must identify an individual to serve as a local security administrator called a "Trusted Source". Trusted Source(s) have the right to approve new submitters and reviewers for their company without active DFS intervention. A Trusted Source must be a senior level person responsible for making decisions on who should have access granted or terminated. They will be responsible for notifying the Department if they can no longer serve in this role. The Information you provide must include name, title, address, telephone, and email. Please send an email containing this information to [email protected] to sign up for electronic filing for MVLEF. DFS allows up to two Trusted Sources per company. The individuals will be notified via email with instructions on creating a Portal account.
To get started, select the DFS Portal button below to log into, or create, your portal account.
Browsers and Blockers
- Use a supported browser: The latest version plus one previous of IE, FF, Chrome and Safari, are supported.
- Disable any “Pop-up Blocker” setting in your browser before using portal applications.
- Maintenance: This application may be unavailable daily from 7:30am to 7:45am for scheduled maintenance.
- Applications may not be compatible with cell phones, tablets or other mobile devices.
Insurers unable to access the portal should submit Form OFM-6 (Fillable PDF) along with required fees.
Associated Circular Letters
- Circular Letter No. 7 (2011)
- Circular Letter No. 13 (2009)
- Circular Letter No. 3 (2006)
- Supplement No. 1 to Circular Letter No. 10 (2003)
- Circular Letter No. 10 (2003)
Questions about the MVLEF and online filing can be directed to [email protected]