File a Complaint

File a Complaint


Consumer Complaints

Use our online Consumer Complaint Form to file a complaint with DFS about an insurance company, bank, student loan, mortgage or foreclosure, bail agent, or any other financial service or product. You can also check the status of your complaint, or add information, such as a Letter of Authorization (PDF), to an existing complaint. Be aware that we may share a copy of your complaint with the company or individual you are complaining about.

To get started or to add information to an existing complaint, please visit the DFS Portal:

To comment on a Health Insurance Premium Rate Increase: Use our Health Insurance Rate Filings Comment Form if you are a health insurance policy holder submitting a comment about an insurer's application for a rate increase.

Designating a Representative to Help with Health Insurance

If you need help with a preauthorization, complaint, grievance, or appeal to your health insurer you can designate a person or organization to assist you by completing the New York Standard Health Insurance Designee Form and submitting it your insurer. This form is also available in other languages (see below).

Healthcare Provider Complaints

Healthcare providers should use our online Healthcare Provider Complaint Form to file a complaint about prompt payment, no fault, or workers compensation claims, or to add additional information to an existing complaint. If this is your first time using the Provider Complain Form you will need to create a portal account, then follow the prompts in Ask for Apps to request access to Provider Complaint Forms.

To get started or to add information to an existing complaint, please visit our secure Portal:

External Appeals, Disputes, and Arbitration

If your insurer or HMO denies health care services as not medically necessary, experimental/investigational or out-of-network, you have the right to appeal to the Department of Financial Services (DFS). This appeal is known as an External Appeal. Health care providers also have the right to an external appeal when services are denied. Learn more about how to file an External Appeal.

You can submit a dispute through the Independent Dispute Resolution (IDR) process for surprise bills for emergency services. Learn how to Dispute a Surprise Medical Bill.

If you submit a No-Fault claim to an insurance company and the insurer does not respond or issues a formal denial of claim, you can take the insurer to court, file a written complaint with us, the Department of Financial Services, or file for No-Fault arbitration. Learn more about how to file for No-Fault arbitration.

Drug Price Spikes

The Department investigates significant price increases for certain drugs sold, purchased or advertised in New York State and requires companies to show a reasonable justification for sudden increases. A price spike should be reported when you can show that the price for a prescription drug increased by fifty percent (50%) or more within the last calendar year, and that the drug has been sold and is being offered for sale within the state of New York. Learn how to report a Drug Price Spike.

Report Insurance Fraud

Insurance Fraud is a crime that victimizes every resident of New York State, costing consumers millions of dollars in the form of increased premiums and higher prices for goods and services. The exact cost of insurance fraud is difficult to estimate because much of it goes unreported. Learn more about how to Report Suspected Insurance Fraud.

Consumer Complaint Form in Printable Format

You are strongly encouraged to submit complaints online using our online Consumer Complaint Portal (above). This will avoid delay in the handling of your paper complaint.


Paper complaint forms can be mailed to the Department of Financial Services, Consumer Assistance Unit, 1 State Street, New York, NY 10004 or to the Department of Financial Services, Consumer Assistance Unit, 1 Commerce Plaza, Albany, NY 12257.

Healthcare Designee Form in Other Languages

Health Insurance Designee Forms should be submitted to your insurer.