What is Insurance Fraud?
Insurance Fraud is a crime that victimizes every resident of New York State, costing consumers millions of dollars in the form of increased premiums and higher prices for goods and services. The exact cost of insurance fraud is difficult to estimate because much of it goes unreported.
Fraud vs. Consumer Complaints
Please do not confuse the crime of insurance fraud with a dispute that you may have with an insurance company, for example, delays in customer payment, monetary disputes, policy cancellations and non-renewals. If you have a question, want to file a complaint against a financial institution or have an inquiry not involving fraud please Contact Us.
Insurance Fraud takes many forms
- A driver and a body shop worker agree to inflate the auto damage claim and share the "profit."
- A homeowner falsely claims that his home was burglarized and valuable items stolen.
- A doctor bills an insurer for services that were not provided.
- A driver stages a fake accident, and unscrupulous doctors and lawyers help "handle" associated medical claims and lawsuits.
- A worker collects workers’ compensation benefits while employed.
How To Report Suspected Insurance Fraud
If you suspect that insurance fraud has been committed, you should report it to DFS. The matter will be kept confidential. You can reoirt fraud in the following ways:
By Phone: Call our Insurance Fraud Hotline: (888) FRAUDNY | (888) 372-8369
Online: Use our Report Insurance Fraud submission form to report a suspected fraud to DFS.
By mail: Print, complete and mail the Report Fraud Form (PDF) to:
New York State Department of Financial Services
Insurance Frauds Bureau
One State Street
New York, NY 10004
By fax: Print, complete and fax the Report Fraud Form (PDF) to: (212) 709-3555