Girl with Doctor

COBRA and Age 29 Coverage


COBRA Premium Assistance for Entertainment Industry Employees

The COBRA Premium Assistance Program for Entertainment Industry Employees was created to help eligible entertainment industry employees maintain health insurance during episodic employment.

Participants can receive assistance equal to 75% of their COBRA premiums, for up to 12 months in a 5 year period.

Eligibility Requirements

To participate in this program, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You must be a member of an entertainment industry union and a resident of New York State;
  2. you must be eligible for, or already covered by COBRA through an entertainment industry union plan;
  3. you must not already be receiving premium assistance through a Department of Health program;
  4. you must not be eligible for Medicare;
  5. you must not be eligible for employer sponsored coverage; and
  6. you must meet the household income limitation:

Amounts updated annually.

Family SizeMonthly Household Income
1Up to $5,020
2Up to $6,813
3Up to $8,607
4Up to $10,400
5Up to $12,193
Extra PersonAdd $1,793

Once enrolled, you will lose eligibility for the premium subsidy if:

  1. your COBRA coverage ends;
  2. you move out of New York State;
  3. you become eligible for Medicare; or
  4. you become eligible for employer insurance.

How Do I Apply?

If you think you qualify for the premium assistance, you can get an application by contacting your union fund, visiting the Entertainment Community Fund at or by emailing the Department of Financial Services (DFS) at [email protected].

What will happen when I apply?

DFS will review your application for completeness and eligibility. If you are eligible for premium assistance, you will be notified in writing. Your union fund will also be notified so that they can seek payment from DFS, and payment of the 75% premium assistance will be made directly to your union fund. You will be responsible for the remaining 25% of the premium. Questions or concerns regarding your payment amount, premium billing, or due date should be directed to your union fund.

Additional Questions?

Frequently Asked Questions about the COBRA Premium Assistance Program for Entertainment Industry Employees.