Scholarships and Grants
Federal Scholarships and Grants
The federal government offers many different education grants which do not have to be repaid. Most of these grants require a showing of financial need.
Federal grants include Federal Pell Grants and Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grants. You need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal grants.
New York State Scholarships and Grants
New York also offers various grant, scholarship and award programs.
Here are a few examples of grants and scholarships that are available to New York students:
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Grant
- New York’s largest grant program. Grant applies toward the cost of tuition.
- The Excelsior Scholarship provides free tuition for eligible SUNY and CUNY students.
- The program is available to families earning up to $125,000.
- The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) administers the Excelsior Scholarship. You can sign up for email alerts and learn more about the program on HESC's website.
NYS Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Given to outstanding graduates from certain New York high schools.
- Scholarship is for up to five years of undergraduate study in New York.
NYS Math and Science Teaching Incentive Scholarship
- Provided to eligible full-time undergraduate or graduate students in programs that lead to secondary education math or science teaching careers.
Many other grants and scholarships are available. Learn more about New York State Grants and Scholarships from HESC.