Skip to Content

Banking Interpretations


June 28, 2005
[ ]

Re: Licensing Requirements

Dear [ ]:

Your May 24, 2005 letter to the New York State Banking Department has been forwarded to me for reply.

In this letter, you state that you are a licensed New York State auto dealer in the Buffalo New York area. You would like to offer in-house financing to customers who cannot obtain financing at traditional banks. You ask whether you would need a license to conduct this activity.

Under Article 11-B of the Banking Law, Section 491(7), a "sales finance company" license is required for a retail seller of motor vehicles engaged in whole or in part, in the business of holding retail installment contracts acquired from retail buyers, which have aggregate unpaid time balances of $25,000 dollars or more at any one time.... The simple answer to your question is that if your company provides financing to customers for balances of $25,000 or more it will require a sales finance company license if the balances are under $25,000 then it will not require a license.

With respect to your question regarding the charging of interest, "interest" is deemed to be a credit service charge as defined in Article 9 (Motor Vehicle Installment Sales) of the New York Personal Property law. You may impose a credit service charge on any retail installment contract, however you need to be licensed as a sales finance company only if the amounts financed are for $25,000 or above. A license would be needed if you hold balances or retail installment contracts above that amount even in a case in which a service charge was not imposed.

Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at the above address.


Christine M. Tomczak
Assistant Counsel

Department of Financial Services


DFS Facebook page

Follow NYDFS on Twitter


Sign up online or download and mail in your application.